Accessory Dwelling Units (FAQ)



Municipal Office

395 Mulock Drive P.O. Box 328 Station Main, Newmarket, Ontario
L3Y 4X7

Email Us

​How Do I Register My ADU?

To register your ADU, you must:

  1. Complete an ADU application form found online at or at the Town's Municipal Offices, 395 Mulock Drive

  2. Pay the one time application fee of $250.00 (+HST) at the Legislative Services desk at the Town's Municipal Offices, 395 Mulock Drive

  3. File the appropriate documents from the Fire Department and Electrical Safety Authority or a final building permit inspection report.


How do I know if my ADU is registered?

The Town has a registration list containing all units that are registered. This list can be accessed by the public by calling the Legislative Services department  at 905-953-5300 ext. 2220.


What are the parking requirements to register an ADU?

Residences with ADUs are required to have a minimum of four exterior parking spaces (not including the garage).


How do I obtain additional parking spaces?

You may contact the Town's Planning Department at 905-953-5300 ext. 2450 or 

How many bags of garbage can I put out and how does the garbage collector know that I'm a registered unit?

When there are two units within one residence, the number of garbage bags allowed for each residence with a registered ADU doubles. Example: Three bags are allowed for the upper unit and three bags are allowed for the lower unit, for a total of six bags.


The collector will know that your residence is a registered unit by the "N" plate. The "N" plate must be affixed to the front of the house and visible from the road.


I'm moving out and have additional garbage bags. How do I ensure my excess garbage is picked up?

Excess garbage will be picked up provided it has garbage. Garbage tags can be purchased at Municipal Offices , Newmarket Public Library, Magna Centre, Ray Twinney Recreation Complex and the Newmarket Operations Centre.


Who should I contact if I have an issue with my landlord or other issues in my residence?

If you have a concern or issue with your landlord, contact the Landlord Tenant Board or call 1-888-332-3234.