Building a structure on your property may require a permit and special specifications to acquire a Building Permit if the proposed construction is:
- Over 108 square feet or
- Attached to a building, regardless of the size
The height, location, and size of decks is regulated by the Town's zoning by-laws. Before applying for a building permit, ensure that your intended project conforms to the zoning by-law. Locate the zoning for any property in Newmarket at the "What is my zoning?" page or consult the Guide to Deck Building and or Residential Accessory Structures explained guides.
Application and required documents
- To submit an application for a deck Building Permit, please ensure you have the following documents:
- Apply Online and complete any additional documents that may be required.
- A survey or site plan of your property showing property lines, house, deck, and dimensions from the edge of the deck (or stairs) to each property line. (This plan can be hand drawn, but must be clear and concise and drawn to scale (See Deck Building Guide for more details and examples).
- Construction drawings, drawn to scale, consisting of a fully noted and dimensioned plan, section(s), elevations and/or details showing all structural components - piers, posts, beams, joists and decking (See the Deck Building Guide for more details and examples).
- Guards – required if the deck is more than two feet above grade. Guard details must meet the Ontario Building Code Supplementary Standard SB-7 Guidelines, which are for wood construction only. If proposed guard is not a detail from Ontario Building Code Supplementary Standard SB-7 Guidelines, details must be stamped and signed by an engineer.
- Completed Pre-screening Questionnaire
For more information on deck specifications, sample site or survey plans, and construction drawings, see our Deck Building Guide.