Animal Services


Municipal Office

395 Mulock Drive P.O. Box 328 Station Main, Newmarket, Ontario
L3Y 4X7

Email Us

Our Animal Services team is here to ensure Newmarket’s pets and wildlife are well cared for. 

Call us because:

  • You've found wildlife or a stray pet that is sick, injured or in distress
  • You've found a pet roaming without its owner
  • You work in community services and need assistance with temporary care of an animal
  • You've found deceased wildlife on public property
  • You've found a deceased pet on public or private property
  • A wild animal has scratched or bitten an animal or human (to report potential rabies exposure)
  • You've been bit by a dog or had an aggressive dog encounter
  • You have questions, concerns or want to make a report related to our Animal Control By-law

24/7 Emergency Response

We now offer 24/7 response to emergency Animal Services calls. An on-call team of trained animal services specialists are ready to provide emergency response to: 

  • Sick or injured stray pets* 

  • Confined stray dogs 

  • Assist Emergency Services 

  • Public safety risks 

*Please note that sick or injured wildlife will be attended to after 7am

Contact us 

Reach animal services through the Town’s Central Customer Service Centre:

  • Call: 905-895-5193 
  • Emergency response: Call the same line and press 3 for after hours
  • Email: (not monitored after hours)

How to report a lost or found pet

Complete our online forms to report a lost or found pet by clicking one of the options below.

Report a Lost Pet Button Image.png Report a Found Pet Button Image.png

Here's when to contact other services:

  • Animals in hot cars: Call York Regional Police at 1-866-876-5423 or 911 if it is an immediate medical emergency
  • Nuisance wildlife on private property: Contact a private wildlife control company to assist with the safe and humane removal of healthy wildlife
  • Animal neglect or cruelty: Call the provincial animal welfare services at 1-833-926-4625
  • Barking dogs after hours: Call York Regional Police at 1-866-876-5423 for an immediate response. Email the Town if you're seeking a follow up investigation per Animal Control By-law

Our Animal Services team also conducts proactive education initiatives to support responsible pet ownership.

If you own a dog or cat in the Town of Newmarket, you are required to license them each year. It’s simple and can be done online, over the phone, by mail or in-person too! 

Hours of operation

An Animal Services Officer will be on duty Monday to Sunday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Residents can call the Town’s Customer Service Centre at anytime at 905-895-5193 and press 3 after standard customer service hours. An after hours representative will direct the call. 
Transparent Wildlife Care Initiative
We care about animals too! In our commitment to animal welfare, the Town has created the Transparent Wildlife Care Initiative. Through this initiative, the Town will track the journey of wildlife that comes into its care and will share it with residents (upon request). This gives residents the peace of mind that the animals are well cared for and the opportunity to contribute to the animal’s ongoing care and treatment by donating to the specific wildlife rehabilitation facility providing that care.  

Standards of Pet Care in Newmarket

Basic wellbeing

  • Animals must have a clean and sanitary environment
  • Adequate food and clean water supply
  • Appropriate shelter to escape the elements

Veterinary care

  • Owners must provide veterinary care to pets to relieve distress from injury neglect or disease


  • Animals must not be tethered for a period exceeding (3) hours within the same calendar day.
  • Tethers must be an appropriate length for the animal, but never less than (3) meters.
  • Tether must allow the animal to move safely, and unrestricted.

Automobile travel

  • Animals cannot be left in a motor vehicle in weather conditions that are not suitable for the animal and may cause distress and/or death
  • Animals must have suitable ventilation
  • Animals must have access to food and water
  • Animals must be restrained to prevent contact between the animal and the public

To report cases of animal neglect or cruelty, please call the provincial animal welfare services at


Our partners in animal service
Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitation

Municipal Animal Services departments rely on organizations licensed with the province to offer wildlife rehabilitation. 
In Newmarket, we work with many licensed organizations to transfer wildlife to specialized animal rescues for care and rehabilitation.

Organizations we work with: Bear Creek Exotic Wildlife SanctuaryToronto Wildlife Centre, Procyon Wildlife, Mono Wildlife, Hobbitstee Wildlife Refuge, Woodland Acres Wildlife Rescue, Soper Creek Wildlife Rescue, The Owl Foundation, Hawk Haven

For the complete list of licensed wildlife rehabilitation centres across the province please visit;

Provincial animal welfare services (PAWS)
The provincial animal welfare services (PAWS) investigates concerns of animal neglect and abuse. Contact PAWS at 1-833-926-4625
Georgina Animal Shelter and Adoption Centre

This shelter and adoption centre provides essential care to stray cats and dogs in our community, East Gwillimbury, Aurora and Georgina.

Residents can search for lost and found pets on their Facebook page at @GeorginaAnimalShelter.

Interested in meeting a pet available for adoption? Fill out an adoption application prior to an in-person adoption consultation. For more information, visit


Phone: 1-800-898-8606

Provide feedback
The Town will be reviewing the existing Animal Control by-law 2020-30 in spring 2024 as part of phase two of bringing its animal services program in house. We want to speak with residents and interested parties to gather feedback and input to shape changes brought forward to Council. If you are interested in participating, add your name to our distribution list and we'll reach out when we begin engagement. 
For any current questions or feedback, residents are always welcome to email 

Common Animal Questions

We support safe and responsible pet ownership practices through public education and enforcement of the Animal Control by-law 2020-30

Help! I found an animal in a hot car. What do I do?
  1. Call York Regional Police at 1-866-876-5423 or 911 if it is an immediate medical emergency
  2. Call Newmarket Animal Services at 905-895-5193

Make note of:

  • Vehicle License Plate
  • The time you first saw the animal in the vehicle
  • The current temperature
  • And any signs of distress that the animal is exhibiting

The Town of Newmarket has the ability to lay charges under Section 5 (3) of the Animal Control By-law 2020-30

5 (3)    No Person shall allow an Animal to remain in a Vehicle unless:

  1. the Animal is secured in a manner that prevents contact between the Animal and any member of the public;
  2. the Animal has suitable ventilation; and
  3. the Animal is not exposed to temperatures which can cause distress and/or death.

The Town of Newmarket does not have the authority to remove animals from hot vehicles.

The Provincial Animal Welfare Services or the Police under their direction, have the ability to enter a vehicle and remove an animal under Provincial Animal Welfare Services Act if the animal is exhibiting signs of "critical distress"

"Critical distress" means distress that requires immediate intervention in order to prevent serious injury or to preserve life.

Why is it important to keep my dog on a leash in public spaces?

Keeping your dog on a leash prevents them from:

  • Getting lost
  • Traffic-related hazards
  • Coming in contact with harmful materials (i.e. toxic plants, rodent poison, other animal waste)
  • Conflict with people or other animals
  • Scaring people or other animals who may have a fear of dogs

Why is it important to keep my cat indoors?

Did you know that the average lifespan of an outdoor cat is only 2-5 years, whereas indoor cats are 10-15 years? 

Keeping your cat indoors protects them from:

  • Predators
  • Traffic
  • Harmful materials
  • "Unintentional adoption" – someone mistaking animal as homeless and keeping it
  • Unwanted pregnancy / contributing to feral cat populations

Help protect our wildlife!

Did you know that is estimated that between 105 million to 348 million birds are killed each year by feral cat populations in Canada alone?

I’ve been bitten by a dog / my pet has been bitten. What do I do?
  1. Seek necessary medical and veterinary attention first
  2. Make note of the incident date, time, location, what the dog looked like and any other information that might be relevant
  3. Take clear photos of any wounds received as a result of the incident

Report the incident to Animal Services by calling 905-895-5193 or emailing

My dog bit a person or animal. What do I do?
  1. Ensure your animal is properly restrained by means of a leash or appropriate confinement
  2. Provide your contact information to the victim party
  3. Make note of the incident date, time, location, and any other information that might be relevant
  4. If the victim is a human and the dog bite drew blood, isolate your dog within your household until contacted by York Public Health.
  5. Report the incident to Animal Services by calling 905-895-5193 or emailing