Respect the environment
Newmarket's parks and trails are a great place to enjoy the outdoors. It is important to have as little impact on the natural environment as possible. Please stay on the trail and avoid walking or biking through natural areas. When disposing of any items, please use the waste and recycling bins provided. A good rule to follow when enjoying the outdoors is: Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.
See a problem or spot graffiti?
Let's work together to keep Newmarket's parks, properties and trails clean and beautiful! If you spot graffiti or see a hazard or problem that needs attention on the trails, parks or natural areas, you can report it to the Town in one of the following ways:
- Call us at 905-895-5193
- Send us an email (include photos and locations)
- Use the Report a Problem feature on the My Waste App on your smart phone.
Removing grafﬁti quickly helps to prevent it in future. If you see graffiti vandalism in progress, call 911. Graffiti is a crime and should be reported to York Regional Police.
Winter activities in parks
Residents and community members are reminded that Newmarket parks are not maintained for winter activities (skiing, tobogganing, skibob, snowboarding). Please take extra caution and use at your own risk.
Whether you are walking, running or biking, the trails are for everyone's enjoyment so please be safe and courteous around others. It is standard practice when passing, to make others aware of your presence. Use a bell on your bicycle or call "on your left" to announce that you are passing another trail user.
Cyclists, rollerbladers, skateboarders and similar fast-moving persons must:
- Yield to pedestrians
- Keep to the right, pass on the left when it is safe to do so
- Let pedestrians know you are approaching with a friendly greeting, or by ringing your bell.
Please remember to:
- Keep dogs on a leash at all times, except in designated off-leash areas
- Stay on designated trails
- Throw trash in designated garbage bins and do not litter.
When enjoying the parks and trails, don't forget to clean up after your pet. Please Stoop and Scoop and remember to keep your pet restrained on a leash at all times. Please refer to the Animal Control By-law for more information.
Dog Park Rules
- All persons using the Dog Park do so at their own risk.
- All dog owners are subject to the Dog Owners Liability Act and the Town of Newmarket's By-Laws.
- Handlers are responsible for their dogs at all times.
- Handlers MUST "poop and scoop" and dispose of in the provided containers.
- Handlers must be inside fenced area with their dog(s) at all times.
- Limit of 3 dogs per handler.
- Dogs must be accompanied by a person of at least 16 years of age or older.
- Children under the age of 12 must be supervised by an adult at all times.
- The following dogs are NOT permitted within the o_-leash area of the dog park.
- Unlicensed dogs
- Dogs required to be muzzled pursuant to the Dog Owners Liability Act (e.g. pit bulls)
- Dogs six months and younger
- Dogs must be leashed when entering and exiting the o_ leash area.
- Please leave your dog treats outside of the park.
- Aggressive dogs are to be kept out of the o_ leash park. If a dog begins acting aggressively towards others (both people another dogs), it must be leashed immediately and removed from the site.
- Please note that the Dog Park will be closed periodically throughout the year for maintenance. We will do our best to post closure times ahead of time, however there may be times that the park may be closed without notice.
Dog Park Etiquette
Dog handlers should exhibit courteous behaviour, or good "petiquette". There are simple things that you can do to keep the park enjoyable for pets and persons alike: