Recreation Programmer - Inclusion & Support Services contact information:
The Town of Newmarket's Recreation & Culture department is dedicated to providing meaningful recreation opportunities to children, youth and adults with disabilities through inclusive and adapted opportunities. Participants are encouraged to pick a program and support level that meets their individualized needs and abilities. Inclusion & Support Services exists to aid families through this process of finding the right fit that will lead to successful participation and enjoyment in recreation.
Participants registering in 1:1 inclusive services, adapted programs, or those participating with external support are requested to complete an Inclusion Intake Form also known as an "All About Me". This confidential form will be provided directly to the program staff working with the participant in order to best prepare and understand each individual participant, and to help the family find the right program fit according to their individualized needs.
The Town of Newmarket offers specifically trained staff to support children, youth and adults with disabilities and unique needs to participate in recreational programs and activities. Inclusion Facilitator support is offered at no additional cost to the family (program fees still apply). Support is available for most recreational programs and school holidays based on resource availability. Inclusion facilitators are scheduled and paired with participants based on location, program and availability of staff. Once an Inclusion Facilitator is confirmed, they will accompany the participant for the requested program duration.
Inclusion Facilitators may assist with:
- Personal care needs such as toileting, changing and feeding
- Adaptation of programming to meet individualized needs
- Facilitate encouragement and friendships
- Behavioural support and management
How to register for 1:1 Inclusion Facilitator Support:
- Review the
Activity Guide prior to each session to review programs based on the participants interests and hobbies.
- Contact the Inclusion team at
firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks prior to the start of the program with the program of interest.
- Complete an All About Me profile (Inclusion Intake Form) for the participant.
- Await confirmation of staff support from Inclusion Services.
If you are new to our programs, create a family account. If you have an existing account, please ensure that all contact information is correct before the registration period. The Town of Newmarket attempts to accommodate all support requests for individuals with disabilities. However, due to the number of requests for additional support or level of care required, support cannot be guaranteed.
The Town of Newmarket offers specifically designed adapted programs for participants with disabilities and additional needs. These adapted programs feature smaller group sizes, smaller staff to participant ratios (1:3), specialized adapted programming and an overall more sensory aware recreation environment. View a list of available programs below, or visit the Inclusion & Support Services section of the
Activity Guide for full course descriptions.
- Dance Without Borders - Children
- Fun in the Kitchen
- Skate for All
- Inclusion Karate
- Teen Connect
- Dance Without Borders - Teens
- Youth Fit
Workshops, Programs & Drop-Ins:
- Lunchtime Café
- Lunchtime Bakery
- Hobby & Craft Hub
- Floral Design/Arrangement Workshop
- Fit for All
BASE Day Program:
Adults with developmental disabilities or mental health needs will enjoy a variety of activities, including: physical fitness, music, games, arts & crafts, and science discovery. This program offers daily (9:00 am – 3:30 pm) center-based activity choices to allow flexibility and opportunities to focus on personal interests and development. Daily outdoor walks will explore neighboring parks. Promotion of positive social interaction and communication development will be promoted through daily group activities. Fee is based on a 1:3 ratio. Please inquire about additional individual support as required
- The Town of Newmarket provides Adapted Swim Lessons to swimmers with disabilities and/or additional needs to experience the benefits of aquatics in a safe and supported environment
- Adapted Swim Lessons provide a 1:1 aquatic staff to participant ratio. In some cases, Inclusion 1:1 Facilitators may be required in an Inclusion Swim Lesson as additional support
- All swimmers with disabilities (regardless of attending with support or not) are required to provide additional information to the aquatic staff team via the Aquatic Intake Form
- Interested families may contact the aquatic team directly for questions and inquiries related to swim options for participants with disabilities at
905-953-5300 ext. 2711 or email
Inclusion Facilitator Support
- Inclusion 1:1 Support is available for Town of Newmarket Camps at no charge to the family (camp fees still apply)
- Inclusion 1:1 Support for Summer Camps is available at a first-time first-serve basis
- Families are required to register their campers into the 1:1 Support that corresponds with their registered camp program
- For more information, visit the Inclusion section of the
Camp Activity Guide
- Adapted camp programs are camps specifically designed for campers with disabilities
- These camps feature smaller staff to participant ratios, smaller group sizes, specialized programming, trained staff, and sensory aware
- Adapted camps are offered to children & youth, and full adapted camp descriptions can be found in the
Camp Activity Guide
Adults looking for a summer adapted option are encouraged to register into the BASE Day Program that runs monthly
The Town of Newmarket is proud to offer an Inclusion Counsellor In Training (ICIT) certificate course to those who wish to make a difference to individuals in our community. Participants in the Inclusion CIT program will be given in-class instruction in areas such as adaptive games, communication, behaviour management, feeding & changing and personal safety skills. They will then have an opportunity to utilize their new skills in placements within Town of Newmarket inclusion programs. Through volunteering, participants gain valuable experience, skills and references for future employment.
The next course for the ICIT will be offered in Winter 2024.
Volunteers are welcome to be involved in Inclusion programs. If you are interested, please contact email@example.com
How do I know if additional support is required?
Additional support is required if:
- Extra support is required at school
- A disability exists that could affect the safety of the participant or other participants
- Extra support is required at home for basic care
- The participant is associated with a support agency and/or program
- The participant has a safety plan with their educational institution
- There are behaviours to be managed (ie. Biting, scratching, pinching, etc)
Families are required to complete an All About Me package to help staff with any program adaptations. When considering a recreation experience, please consider the individual needs, and that recreation in an integrated setting may not be suitable for all persons. The health and safety of participants and staff is paramount. Any actions or behaviours which contravene this policy could result in a participant being denied access to the program.
Please Note: We may ask that an individual be paired with a support person considering the health and safety of the individual and staff, provincial regulations and the Town of Newmarket's own policies.
Can I provide my own inclusion support worker?
Yes, you may provide your own support worker. A Police Vulnerable Sector Check, sign Confidentiality Agreement and completed Support Worker Registration Agreement is required to be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
prior to the start of the program. Please be aware that we require the support worker to participate in all activities.
Can I be provided assistance in picking the right program for my participant?
Yes, Inclusion & Support Services is available to assist families in finding the right support and program option depending on participant's needs and abilities. Sometimes, finding the right level of support & program can take some trial and error. The Inclusion team is here to provide support to families and make the transition to participating in recreation as seamless as possible. Contact
or the Recreation Programmer for Inclusion & Support Services at 905-953-5300 ext. 2821.
Are all programs accessible?
Yes, all programs facilitated by the Town of Newmarket welcome participation of all abilities! Considerations for activities, setting and level of support required can be discussed with the Recreation Programmer and instructor for the best experience. If an external support worker is required to attend, they will be admitted at no charge. Newmarket Inclusion Facilitators may be available to provide additional support based on staff availability, as needed.
Do you provide accessible equipment?
Yes, sport wheelchairs are available for use to play wheelchair basketball at the Newmarket Recreation Youth Centre & telMAX Indoor Skate Park.
Water wheelchairs are available at each pool to assist with pool access, and an adult-size variable level table is located at both indoor pool facilities for changing. To assist a caregiver with transfers, a portable lift with a sling is available at the Magna Centre and Ray Twinney Complex. An equipment booking form is required to be completed for use of equipment.
Can I use my wheelchair on the ice during a public skate session?
Yes, manual wheelchairs are permitted. The person is recommended to wear a helmet, and be accompanied by a responsible person wearing ice skates. Prior to entering the ice surface, the tires must be clean and free of dirt. Persons are asked to utilize the perimeter of the ice closest to the boards as recommended by the Ontario Recreation Facilities Association.
We welcome our community's feedback and input and would love to hear from you on what programs / activities you would like to see offered by the Town. Email us at email@example.com with your suggestions.
Stay up-to-date on the latest Town updates by following @TownofNewmarket on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
Questions? Should you have any questions, please contact Customer Service by phone at 905-953-5303 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Customer Service is available Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.